Posted: Sept 17, 2021
SHIPMATES IN DIRE STRAITS
HELP FROM USS SEATTLE (AOE-3)
- Over the years several Seattle sailors have experienced what have been truly catastrophic financial losses due to fires, hurricanes, and tornados that destroyed all possessions. Others have had unexpected, extraordinarily high medical expenses under impossible conditions.
- The Association By-Laws, under section VIII. Article VII 6, empower the Board to act in: Issues involving spending of monies.
The Association’s stated purpose is: To organize, preserve, strengthen, promote interest, camaraderie, and communication among its members through personal contact, committees, and periodic reunions. All in keeping with “development of the association, improving participation and expanding membership”.
Spending money is allowed to strengthen the organization. The Board members are stewards of the Association treasury and its long-term interests. The By-Laws do not contemplate Board approved expenditures to assist individual shipmates, even in times of severe distress.
- While the Association is not authorized to extend financial help from its treasury, we are able to share information about a specific financial need with our Family of Seattle Sailors and provide our individual Sailors a way to offer financial support.
WHO CAN REQUEST ASSISTANCE?
- Any USS Seattle Sailor who is registered on our website can request, posting their request for financial assistance on our website. You do not need to be a dues paying member. Everyone who served aboard USS Seattle AOE-3 is a member of our family.
- Requests for aid should be for unexpected and life changing challenges.
PROCEDURE FOR MAKING A REQUEST:
- Seattle Sailor must be registered on our website.
- To register go to go www.ussseattleaoe-3.org Click on Join.
- Send an email to (general mailbox) of USS Seattle Veterans Association. Details of the situation should be provided for inclusion in the Association’s outgoing notification to all sailors registered on its website. Include contact information. An Officer of the association will contact you to discuss your request.
- The requesting sailor should open a Go Fund Me or similar account or can request that checks be mailed to their home address.
ACTIONS BY THE ASSOCIATION:
- Upon approval, the Association will send a communication to all registered USS Seattle sailors with a writeup of the request and information on how they can contribute.
- The Association will make at least one posting of a validated request.
- Contributions come from individual members and go directly to the affected sailor or sailor’s family. The Association will not handle any funds but can be proud of the response from USS Seattle (AOE-3) Veterans’ Association Shipmates.